понедельник, 12 марта 2012 г.

Timberwolves After Duke Duo

If the Minnesota Timberwolves were to get draft rights to Duke'sGrant Hill, the word is they will try to lure Blue Devils coach MikeKrzyzewski to replace Sidney Lowe.

Two of Krzyzewski's former players, Christian Laettner and BrianDavis, already play for the Timberwolves.

"I pray that he does," Davis said. "I would love for him tocoach me again. I don't know if it would be here or somewhere else.He's the top coach in the country and he can make it at the NBAlevel. You can tell it's about time for him to go."

If Magic Johnson pulls off a near-miracle and leads the Lakersinto the playoffs, don't be surprised to hear Lakers owner Jerry Bussoffer Johnson an opportunity to buy a significant part of the club.That way he would stay as coach.

Johnson denied there is any bad blood between him and generalmanager Jerry West.

"I've known Jerry for many years, and we both run a basketballcamp in Hawaii every summer," Johnson said. "If anything, Jerrycares too much about my welfare. He doesn't want anything to gowrong for me."

Although retired NBA coach Dick Motta recently told Mavericksowner Donald Carter he does not want to coach, one insider said hebelieves Motta would accept a full-time job with the right team.Motta presently is serving as a consultant for rookie Mavs coachQuinn Buckner.

Veteran power forward Buck Williams, 34, playing in the last yearof a contract that pays him $5 million this season, has signed a newthree-year deal with the Trail Blazers. It guarantees him $2.5million a year for the first two years, with the third at the club'soption.

Williams, averaging 9.9 points and 10.8 rebounds, was scheduledto become an unrestricted free agent.

"Maybe I'm losing money because some team could have offered me abigger contract," Williams said. "But I decided to pass up freeagency because I want to end my career in Portland. Not having touproot my family again also means a lot to me."

A parting of the ways may be unavoidable in Washington, whereBullets coach Wes Unseld became upset after general manager John Nashpublicly criticized center Pervis Ellison's knee rehab and suggestedthe team won't re-sign the center when he becomes an unrestrictedfree agent.

Jim Lynam, Ron Rothstein, Matt Guokas and Maryland's GaryWilliams are among possible replacements if Unseld doesn't return.

Agent Steve Endicott said there is a possibility his client,Charlotte Hornets forward Larry Johnson, might not play with DreamTeam II in this summer's World Championships if his back and rightknee are not 100 percent.

"It's Larry's decision to make," Endicott said. "But if he's not100 percent or close, I can't imagine him playing. We want to review(with Hornets management) what's been done and see if anything elseneeds to be done to be ready for the next 11 years."

Which is how much time Johnson has left on his new 12-year, $84million contract.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий